Sometimes I collect excuses from my swimmers. I have heard some good ones in my day.
10. I had a hard day at school, I’m worn out
Coach is thinking: OMG, boo hoo!
9. I was up all night sick, throwing up, better now though, see you tomorrow
Coach is thinking: Hmm, toughness, hmm…
8. I have a stomach bug, you’re lucky you don’t have it
Coach is thinking: Don’t eat bugs, silly!
7. The doctor told me to go easy today, so no stress, okay?
Coach is thinking: Who in heck are these freaking guys?
6. I am having a hard time breathing today and I have swimmer’s ear, so the doctor told me to take a week off.
Coach is thinking: Again?!
5. What? I can’t skip? I had a sleepover, I’m sore.
Coach is thinking: Do your friends know how good you are? Well, they can help consol you when you get 17th place.
4. Please! It won’t hurt me to miss one.
Coach is thinking: Phish!
3. I have a function, plans, and my parents said I will get worn out.
Coach is thinking: Too bad they can’t swim the races for you–I play a joke, parents…hehe)
2. It is my grandmother’s sister’s birthday
Coach is thinking: Happy birthday.
And the number one reason to skip practice is:
1. I heard it was going to be harder than any other practice this week.
Coach is thinking: I can always tell the ones that want to be really good or just talk about being good.
However, I got a new top excuse this week: My collarbone is broken.
Coach is thinking: Okay, that one is true.
So, swimmers, I challenge you: Keep them coming!